1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Religion's motive for denial of magic

Psions Viewing Thread (Psions: 0, Guests: 0)

Ouroboros

Ouroboros Cadet Citizen III

RELIGIONS' MOTIVE FOR DENIAL OF MAGIC
    As if no one knew it already

Written by Ouroboros.

Want to know the real reason why many monotheistic religions banned magic?

It wasn't because they were afraid that their religion might have 'competition' for the heart of the sheep, it wasn't because they were afraid of having to go against people that could channel supernatural power while they choose to pray for power, and it certainly wasn't because they were afraid of those people becoming gods themselves and maybe usurping their creator.

The reason was actually quite simple.

Learning magic requires that someone studies a lot, experiments a lot, and in order to learn you need to read and write, to develop knowledge necessary to understand how something works or how it could work.Basically at that time to be a mage it was necessary to be a scholar and a student, but also have a strong willpower to surpass the obstacles on the path.

It is easy to force people that have no willpower to fight back, and even easier to enslave their minds when you know that they aren't 'learned'.It is one of the resons why many countries still have issues with treating their teachers right, because even if most of their teaching methods are outdated or can only work for a majority of students, they are still necessary to instill in young children the want to learn and to help others to master their crafts.

Back then a mage would be one of the few to be able to know what was going around and in some cases even enlight the sheep.Which king would want to have a chance of loosing their kingdom?Not a single a one.For them, and what came to become the religious sects of each region, those practicing magic were the wild cards that would need to be dealt with and in a time were everything was believe to be an act of god it wasn't hard to link the practice to the idea of evil.

Shane and Geronimo like this.
    Shane
    Fine

Shane Senior Citizen

Nice post, though, I do have to say not all magick uses long ago had to be scholars, look at the magick community today... A lot of them depending the community you are in, are in no way comparable to being intelligent. More so the new-age based communities, and the OKC, or online otherkin community. Though, I would imagine back then they may have needed to be a scholar to read the scarce books and so on, but, you have to keep in mind a lot of traditions were passed through word of mouth. So, keeping that in mind, they didn't really need to have the ability to read, etc. Which, keeping that in mind, far more people could have been into it that could be considered unintelligent compared to the scholars into it. Albeit, the same as today, likely most of them just learned through gathered information and experimentation rather then being taught, so I would imagine most didn't actually understand what they were doing beyond knowing said thing works.

Though, keeping that in mind, if they did legitimately learn magick and made it a life long thing, then I can see how the reasons you stated would work.

Ouroboros

At that time they became scholars even if they didn't label themselves as such, because once you start learning something and acquire the 'taste' for it you want to keep learning.If most traditions were, as you said, taught orally then at some point they would reach a level where either by choice-a want-or by necessity-a must have-they would learn to read and write.

I can't say anything about the intelligence of people in communities because I can't generalize when I only had few social experiences like that, but if I had to guess I would say that while a community is a great place to share knowledge it is also a double edged sword because, the same sharing aspect, creates a complacency amongst many of it's members.If they act like children then it is less of a lack of intelligence and more a lack of maturity.

Rhethea
    No Mood

Rhethea Cadet Citizen II

I can only speak for witches of the past but many of them did not know how to read or write and even those who did weren’t considered witches for being educated. Knowledge between witches was passed down through the generations and still is. It wasn’t until recently in history that we really started keeping a written record of our practices in grimoires or book of shadows, whatever you want to call it. Much of my own families practices haven’t been written down but instead shared face to face. In the case of witches much of their persecution stemmed from the sexuality of women. A sexual woman was a dangerous woman. It also stemmed from the hysteria from the plague and accused witches were an easy thing to put the blame on (many of those accused weren’t even witches).

Shane
    Fine

Shane Senior Citizen

Oh, I was thinking of a wrong definition for scholar, had to double check and well, I guess you could say that many were scholars now that I actually ain't thinking of the wrong word. xD

Ouroboros

Which definition were you thinking of?
    Weren't witches worshippers of gods as well?Because then their feud with religion would be more on basis of a fear of the clergy loosing their sheep to 'holy women' that had power and were real, while their saints and heroes were never seen.

Rhethea
    No Mood

Rhethea Cadet Citizen II

Not necessarily. It depends on the type of witch and their beliefs. Some worship multiple gods, some worship one or two, and some worship none.