1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Travesty of Telekinesis/Psychokinesis

Psions Viewing Thread (Psions: 0, Guests: 0)

Ouroboros

Ouroboros Citizen

The Travesty of Telekinesis/Psychokinesis
    Don't judge the text by the title!

Written by Ouroboros

What is exactly TK/PK?

Using the definition set by this site it "refers to moving objects from one place to another without using physical contact or the movement of energy from faster moving frequency to the physical plane", basically moving without touching using the influence of an energy.
    I remember of once when I was reading some of my magazines/books of RPG that although magic was common in settings of fantasy it was almost unheard of when the scenario was the future-or even the present-or anything that was more geared to sci-fi.

So with fantasy we had magic as the, most of the time, unknown source of energy that no one had a real idea of how it worked.They just knew that it did and it could do amazing feats that characters without access to it couldn't.It didn't even matter if the source was known, because either way no character could really explain how magic worked its...magic.
    As for anything related to our current "reality" or sci-fi, we would see that most of the abilities of the characters would either come from technology-which means a researched and understood source-through their altered genetics-something that is already happening even if at a micro scale, or they would use psychic abilities.Then it was set that magic was for fantasy and the "scientific magic"-psionics-would be for more realistic or "technical" setting.At least with those science based powers they tried to justify how it could/would work instead of saying that it happened just because.

I don't see this happening much with "our" psionics.

I don't see this happening much with TK/PK.

I get it that we have this energy that we talk about so much as being the source of TK/PK, but why it works the way it does?How exactly can this energy help me move that specific pencil that is far away from me?Which mechanisms in ourselves make it happen?How we generate this energy?How this energy can interact with physical matter?

• Why have I called TK/PK a travesty?Because we use words coined to make it sound scientific when in truth we treat it like magic.

As much as we have 'guides' or people talking about how it works we don't seem keen enough to really get to the point of finding out, it's more like we are already happy with just being able to do it, and of course repeat when wanting to, and leave it like that.Magic is the word used for when you don't know something truly well, you just know that you can use it/do it, but psionics uses words like telekinesis(from τηλε- "far off" and κίνηση "movement")[definition of words taken from wikipedia] or psychokinesis(from Greek ψυχή "mind" and κίνησις "movement")[definition of words taken from wikipedia] as a means to create a difference, or more specifically be precise with what you are dealing with.

It is somewhat ironic that a lot of people that speaks of training TK/PK seems to avoid being scientific with it.And don't get me wrong, I'm not talking about using highly scientific terms or start creating a formula.I'm talking about using the scientific method of finding the how and why of things, because if you can get it right you would be able to explain it in few words, as if you were teaching a child(Yes, that is a thing that many people use as a way to measure someone's knowledge of a subject).When someone doesn't understand something they will walk around the subject and try to be as technical as possible to make it seem so hard to understand that you won't care to get it and just trust on the pther person's words of why it is like that.

Final Words
    Let's become more scientific-minded, because this travesty is becoming repetitive.