1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  • Views: 237
    Vet's Journal, Entry #1 Nov 12, 2014

    I figured I'd start out my journal with a quote: "Death smiles at everyone, Marines smile back."

    It's been a while since I've been active on here, so I figured I'd update my journal. I've been really inactive due to school, work, and relationships. Mostly just a bunch of crap going on as usual, teachers giving me a hard time because of what I'm going to be doing with my life, trying to find a girl to be with who isn't more crazy than I am. Fighting for more hours at work, working two days a week is killer. I've been getting small paychecks and almost want to cry when bills come around because of it. Finally getting more hours since a night-shifter switched to day. I recently went to a surgeon to see if I had cancer, found out I didn't so super thrilled about that. Shipping out for the US Marines in Feb, so I'm just pushing myself more and more trying to get in better shape for it.

    Nov 10 was the Marine Corps Birthday, 239 years of the worlds most feared fighting force. Saluting that day, then Veterans Day brought back a lot of memories.

    1st Force Recon Company, 1st Recon BN; Location-Classified, Vietnam, 1965.

    I loved riding in helicopters, just watching the Charlies run around down on the ground below. Listening to the beauty of the .50 caliber raining hell upon them as I smoked a Cigar. Most guys who did that job, killed Vietcong daily, sometimes they were or weren't VC. But it was the same way with every job, you zapped them or they zapped you, simple as that. This wasn't going to be a normal helicopter ride to the LZ though, they shot back. Before I knew it I wasn't hearing the fire anymore and the chopper was spinning, holding on to whatever we could, we held on for dear life as it fell to the ground. I remember seeing the ground before I blacked out. I had no idea how long I was out, I didn't really want to find out. I checked the pilots, found them both to be dead. I found one of them still alive, Jerry he was a Sergeant, in my team to still be breathing, the chopper was laying on it's side. I put the kicker (radio) on my back, picked up a M60 and ammo for it, peaked out of the side and looked around at the surrounding woods. Of course we had to crash into a field, I couldn't have ever been lucky enough to land in the woods. I looked around to see if I could see any VC moving up on us, I don't know what they were waiting for.

    Knowing it was clear for only a moment, I began patching up Jerry. I managed to get him to wake up after shaking him for a while, it seemed like I was in the chopper for hours when it hadn't even been that long yet. Not long after he woke up we began taking fire from the woods. It was coming from where the bottom of the copper was facing. I gave him the kicker as I returned fire with the M60, then the whole damn woods lit up. Sounded like hail the size of baseballs were hitting the helicopter. I shot whenever I could, trying not to get my head blown off. I had gotten lucky, I peaked over to return fire and took one right in the helmet. It saved my life, I kept firing into the woods when I could until I ran out of ammo, by that point we were just waiting for the PJ's and other Marines to get there. Time was running out for us as they were coming to us, they started pouring in towards the chopper. I kept having to turn around and fire at them, I felt like a ballerina spinning in circles in there to shoot them as they got closer. Right before they were about to get within feet of the chopper the help finally got there, it felt like I had been there for days fighting them.

    We managed to get out of there, one of the PJ's laughed when he seen my helmet. "You are the luckiest guy I've ever met Staff Sergeant" is what he said to me. Unfortunately, Jerry wasn't as lucky. His internal bleeding was worse than the wounds on the outside, he bled to death on the chopper ride to base.

    Rest in Peace Jerry, Semper Fi.

    Some of you may be wondering why I called the Radio a "kicker" it's because they never worked. You could rewire the whole thing and it wouldn't work, but when you kicked it, they would start working. They were in service in the Marines all the way into the 90's.

    Thanks for reading! I'll be updating when I can.
You need to be logged in to comment